BlackPast.org Facebook BlackPast.org Twitter

Donate to BlackPast.org BlackPast Blog
  • African American History
  • African American History in the West
  • Global African History
  • Perspectives

NOTE: BlackPast.org will not disclose, use, give or sell any of the requested information to third parties.

5 + 2 =
Solve this simple math problem and enter the result. E.g. for 1+3, enter 4.

Rock the Vote

NAAAS & Affiliates 27th Joint National Conference

Shop Amazon and help BlackPast.org

Blackpast.org in the Classroom

Kentucky State University [Frankfort] (1886- )

Whitney Young Statue at Kentucky State
University
Image Courtesy of Kentucky State University

Kentucky State University, the largest predominantly black institution of higher learning in the state, began as a state normal (teacher training) school.  On October 15, 1885, Kentucky's political leaders held a conference in Louisville to discuss ways to improve the welfare of the Commonwealth of Kentucky.  The conference made a number of recommendations, including the establishment of a normal school to train African American teachers needed for the instruction of black children in elementary schools across the state.  On May 18, 1886, the Kentucky state legislature authorized and chartered “the State Normal School for Colored Persons" which would be located in the state capital, Frankfort.  The legislature pledged biennial funding of $3,000 for operating expenses and $7,000 to build classrooms.

Frankfort’s 4,000 residents were excited to have the new institution built in their city.  The city donated $1,500 and a scenic site overlooking the town. The school's first building, Recitation Hall (now Jackson Hall) was completed in 1887. The Normal School officially opened its doors on October 11, 1887, with President John H. Jackson, three teachers, and 55 students.

In 1890, following passage of the Morrill Act, the institution became a land grant college. This federal legislation allowed the addition of the departments of agriculture, mechanics, and home economics.  In spring of 1890, the first five students graduated.  In 1893, a high school was added because the institution's administration realized many of the students coming to the Normal School were from poor areas without public high schools.  With a high school on campus, many of these students could complete their high school requirements and continue on to earn their teaching certificates.

In 1902, the institution’s name was changed to Kentucky Normal and Industrial Institute for Colored Persons. In 1926, the name changed again to Kentucky State Industrial College for Colored Persons. Three years later, in 1929, President Rufus Atwood closed down the high school declaring it was no longer needed since most incoming students had acquired a high school education before enrolling. In 1938, the institution's name was changed a third time to Kentucky State College for Negroes, and in 1952 it became Kentucky State College.  The first white students were enrolled in 1960, and twelve years later the college became Kentucky State University.   By 1973, the first graduate students were enrolled in the school of public affairs.

Kentucky State University is the state's smallest public university.  Its usual enrollment is 2,600 students with 190 full time faculty members.  Students may earn two-year associate's degrees in three disciplines, a four-year baccalaureate degrees in 24 disciplines, and master’s degrees in five disciplines.

Sources:
Henry N. Drewry and Humphrey Doermann, Stand and Prosper: Private Black Colleges and Their Students (New Jersey: Princeton University Press, 2001); Kentucky State University, “Heritage” Kentucky State Introduction, 2009, Accessed Nov 30, 2010, http://www.kysu.edu/about/heritage/; Kentucky State University, “Kentucky State University” A History of Public Service More Than a Century of Excellence In Higher Education, 2010, Accessed Nov 30, 2010, http://sacs.kysu.edu/content-page.aspx?id=7a4d7330-bf9a-dd11-910c-000e7f3041f.

Contributor:

University of Washington, Seattle

Entry Categories:

Copyright 2007-2017 - BlackPast.org v3.0 NDCHost - California | blackpast@blackpast.org | Your donations help us to grow. | We welcome your suggestions. | Mission Statement

BlackPast.org is an independent non-profit corporation 501(c)(3). It has no affiliation with the University of Washington. BlackPast.org is supported in part by a grant from Humanities Washington, a state-wide non-profit organization supported by the National Endowment for the Humanities, the state of Washington, and contributions from individuals and foundations.