Facebook Twitter

Donate to BlackPast Blog
  • African American History
  • African American History in the West
  • Global African History
  • Perspectives

NOTE: will not disclose, use, give or sell any of the requested information to third parties.

3 + 6 =
Solve this simple math problem and enter the result. E.g. for 1+3, enter 4.

Rock the Vote

NAAAS & Affiliates 27th Joint National Conference

Shop Amazon and help in the Classroom

Newark Riot (1967)

Image Ownership: Public Domain
The Newark, New Jersey Riot took place from July 12 through July 17, 1967, and was sparked by a display of police brutality. John Smith, an African American cab driver for the Safety Cab Company, was arrested on Wednesday, July 12, when he drove his taxi around a police car and double-parked on 15th Avenue.  According to a police report released to the press, Smith was charged with “tailgating,” driving in the wrong direction on a one-way street, using offensive language, and physical assault.

A witness who had seen Smith’s arrest called members of the Congress of Racial Equality (CORE), the United Freedom Party, and the Newark Community Union Project, whose leaders were given permission to see Smith in his 4th Precinct holding cell.  After noticing his injuries, they demanded that he be transported to a hospital.  Their demands were granted, and Smith was moved to Beth Israel Hospital in Newark.

Around 8:00 p.m., black cab drivers began to circulate the report of Smith’s arrest on their radios.  Word spread down 17th Avenue, west of the precinct police station where Smith had been held.  Residents in the predominantly black city had a long history of similar events with the Newark Police.  Many of them angrily gathered on the streets facing the 4th Precinct.

At 11:00 p.m., one of the civil rights leaders informed the police that a peaceful protest would be organized across the street from the precinct.  A police officer handed the leader a bullhorn to address the crowd.  Bob Curvin, a member of CORE, was joined by Timothy Still, the president of an anti-poverty program, and Oliver Lofton, who was the administrator of the Newark Legal Services Project.  Although the three speakers urged a nonviolent protest march, an unidentified local resident took the bullhorn and urged violence.  Some young men from the neighborhood began throw bricks and bottles at the precinct windows.  

Shortly after midnight, two Molotov cocktails were thrown at the precinct.  Then, a group of 25 people on 17th Avenue began to loot stores.  The looting drew larger crowds, and Newark was engulfed in a riot.  

Despite the violence, on Thursday morning, Newark Mayor Hugh Addonizio announced that Wednesday night’s activities were isolated incidents and were not of riot proportions.  At 6:00 p.m. Thursday night, a large group of young kids gathered on the street where traffic had been blocked.  Word spread along 17th Avenue that people would again demonstrate against the precinct.  Human Rights Commission Director James Threatt arrived and told the crowds to disperse.  They refused, and rioting commenced for a second night.  

After midnight on Thursday, looting spread throughout the major commercial district in Newark.  Groups of young adults smashed windows while chanting “Black Power.”  At the same time the looting spread, the police were given clearance to use firearms to defend themselves.  At 2:20 a.m., Mayor Addonizio asked Governor Richard J. Hughes to send in the National Guard to help restore order.

At around 4:00 a.m., a looter was shot while trying to flee from two police officers.  By early Friday morning, five people had been killed and 425 people were jailed; hundreds were wounded.  More than 3,000 National Guardsmen and 500 state troopers arrived by mid-afternoon, formed convoys, and dispersed throughout the city.

Despite the presence of National Guardsmen and state troopers, rioting continued for three more days.  As the riot approached its final hours, 26 people, mostly African Americans, were killed, another 750 were injured and over 1,000 were jailed.   Property damage exceeded $10 million. The riot, the worst civil disorder in New Jersey history, ended on July 17, 1967.

Tom Hayden, Rebellion in Newark (New York: Random House, 1967); Donald L. Horowitz, “Racial Violence in the United States,” Bulletin of the American Academy of Arts and Sciences 37:3 (Dec. 1983)


University of Washington, Seattle

Entry Categories:

Copyright 2007-2017 - v3.0 NDCHost - California | | Your donations help us to grow. | We welcome your suggestions. | Mission Statement is an independent non-profit corporation 501(c)(3). It has no affiliation with the University of Washington. is supported in part by a grant from Humanities Washington, a state-wide non-profit organization supported by the National Endowment for the Humanities, the state of Washington, and contributions from individuals and foundations.