BlackPast.org Facebook BlackPast.org Twitter

Donate to BlackPast.org BlackPast Blog
  • African American History
  • African American History in the West
  • Global African History
  • Perspectives

NOTE: BlackPast.org will not disclose, use, give or sell any of the requested information to third parties.

1 + 0 =
Solve this simple math problem and enter the result. E.g. for 1+3, enter 4.

Rock the Vote

NAAAS & Affiliates 27th Joint National Conference

Shop Amazon and help BlackPast.org

Blackpast.org in the Classroom

University of Liberia\Liberia College (1863-- )

University of Liberia
Image Ownership: Public Domain
In 1851, the national legislature of Liberia authorized the establishment of Liberia College which is now the second oldest institution of higher learning in West Africa. The Trustees of Donations for Education in Liberia purchased materials and hired faculty for the college with funds from private organizations and contributions from individuals in the United States. Chartering a ship and loading it with building supplies for the college, the first faculty and materials left New York City, New York and arrived in Monrovia, Liberia's capital, on December 28, 1856.  Realizing that the originally designated site of the college, the Clay-Ashland area was too swampy and unsuitable for the college, the Trustees voted to locate the college on a bluff at Cape Mesurado, within the city limits of Monrovia.  

Continued disputes concerning the college's charter further delayed construction which finally began on January 25, 1858. Classes began on February 2, 1863. The first class comprised seven male students including three holding scholarships from the New York Colonization Society.  Joseph Jenkins Roberts, the first president of Liberia, was chosen to become the college's first president in 1862.  New York City native Alexander Crummell, a black Episcopalian priest and scholar trained at Cambridge University in England, was a founding member of the Liberia College faculty.  

Liberia College was privately funded, mainly by donations from the United States, until World War II.  At that point the Liberian government took over the college and provided financial support.  Reflecting a growing economy and a public desire for a state university, in 1951, the Liberian Legislature chartered the University of Liberia as a national university. That same year, the University of Liberia inaugurated the only law school in Liberia, the Louis Arthur Grimes School of Law, named after a Liberian political leader.

Currently, the University of Liberia has six colleges, three graduate programs, and three professional schools. Due to civil strife, the university closed several times between 1979 and 1984.  The Liberian Civil War also nearly closed the institution.  The university did not grant any degrees between 1989 and 1996. The University of Liberia is again an active institution and in 2009 had an estimated total student enrollment of 18,000.

Sources:
Gardner W. Allen, The Trustees of Donations for Education in Liberia: A Story of Philanthropic Endeavor, 1850-1923 (Boston: Thomas Todd Company, 1923); Thomas W. Livingston, “The Exportation of American Higher Education to West Africa: Liberia College, 1850–1900,” The Journal of Negro Education 45:3 (Summer 1976). University of Liberia Website, http://www.universityliberia.org.

Contributor(s):
Wada, Kayomi
University of Washington, Tacoma

Entry Categories:

Copyright 2007-2017 - BlackPast.org v3.0 NDCHost - California | blackpast@blackpast.org | Your donations help us to grow. | We welcome your suggestions. | Mission Statement

BlackPast.org is an independent non-profit corporation 501(c)(3). It has no affiliation with the University of Washington. BlackPast.org is supported in part by a grant from Humanities Washington, a state-wide non-profit organization supported by the National Endowment for the Humanities, the state of Washington, and contributions from individuals and foundations.